Answers to common wood pellet heating questions
- Q. Which boiler is best for my house?
- A. For a rough guide to what boiler would work best for you, estimate roughly your annual heating bill and compare it to our heating calculator. Or, for a more detailed assessment, please contact us.
- Q. Can I control how much heat is generated?
- A. Yes, all our boilers have a control system which allows you to regulate temperature, fuel and the automatic running of the boiler.
- Q. Are boilers expensive?
- A. In general, as the running costs are half that of heating oil, most customers are able to write off the initial cost of the boiler in between 5 to 10 years. Please look at our comparison of cost and calculated payback period based on the latest figures.
- A. Local authority funding may also be available. For instance Green Suffolk provide both Business and Household funding. Please feel free to contact us for more information.
- Q. Why do wood pellets make good fuel?
- A. Wood pellets are inexpensive, space saving, perfect for automatic systems and offer several environmental benefits.
- Q. Are pellets messy?
- A. Very little ash is produced, less than 0.1%. Also any ash produced makes a great fertiliser!
- Q. How can I tell if a wood pellet is good quality?
- A. It’s easy! A good quality pellet should sink in a glass of water because of its density.
- Q. What is the calorific value of wood pellets?
- A. 4.9 kWh per Kilogram
- Q. How much do pellets cost?
- A. £170-250 per ton.
- Q. Where is my nearest wood pellet supplier?
- A. There is a nationwide network of suppliers that is growing monthly, please look at wood pellet suppliers on our website for suppliers that we recommend.
Fuel Storage Questions:
- Q. Do pellets need much storage space?
- A. A typical domestic houses requires only around 5-6 m³ pellets a year.
- Can I get a grant for a wood pellet boiler and to change boilers from oil or gas?
- Yes: for domestic stoves and boilers please visit Energy Saving Trust
If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us.